As the summer light begins to wane, and you can feel the quality of autumn in the cooler air, it’s time to prepare your body.
The arrival of autumn signals the end of the yang energy of summer, and we move inward with the yin energy in this season. This is a perfect time to detoxify your body, and restore your internal balance while boosting your immunity, before it becomes colder.
Each season gives us an opportunity to prepare our body and mind for the months ahead.
5 steps to prepare your body for autumn.
- Release the heat in your body from summer, avoid caffeine, alcohol, refined sugar, salt and hot spices such as chilli, cayenne pepper and paprika.
- Eat warming foods that are seasonal, as raw cold foods create dampness in the body, so mucus forms, which we don’t want in our bodies during the colder months. Access the seasonal good guide here.
- Slow down just like nature is beginning to do. Return to simple routines, and introduce structure to help you be purposeful.
- Add a self-care ritual such as dry body brushing, to stimulate circulation and exfoliate any dry skin from summer. Add a simple self massage routine, to hydrate your skin.
- Spend time in nature to connect to yourself and the season. In autumn the leaves fall from the trees, and the energy of the plant comes back to its roots after the full flowering of summer.
Autumn is a wonderful season to step up your self care, and embrace all that the season has to offer us. There’s truly no better time than now, to start harvesting the benefits of self-love and self-care.