Essential oils have powerful immune boosting properties and can keep germs away. They enhance your health and wellbeing and uplift your spirits.
I love having a diffuser in all the mainrooms of my home, with the smell of natural therapeutic essential oils. In other rooms like the bathroom, I have a space clearing room spray. Using immune-support essential oils in a surface spray on frequent touch surfaces such as door handles, bench tops, tables and fridges give extra protection.
Hand Sanitiser Spray 100ml
When I’m making this hand sanitizer, I use these three main active ingredients with distilled water and essential oils. Sanitising can be achieved by 60% full strength alcohol, less than 60% diminishes the efficacy of the product. Hospital grade sanitising is achieved by 70% full strength alcohol.
Do not use methylated spirits, as it is a denatured ethanol and contains chemicals that are not meant for topical application.
Do not use vodka or other strong spirits, as at best these are only 40 – 50% alcohol and not sufficiently strong enough to provide effective hand sanitising.
- Witch Hazel 10ml – contains potent anti-inflammatory, antiviral and anti-microbial properties and is very nourishing to the hands. I use witch hazel in all my hand sanitisers for every day germ-fighting properties.
- Aloe Vera 10ml – nourishes your hands and has anti-fungal, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory properties. It contains Minerals (Calcium, Chromium, Magnesium, Selenium, Zinc), Vitamins (A, B, C, E, folic acid), Amino Acids and active components including enzymes and polysaccharides. Renowned for its vast beneficial properties and has been used for treating skin complaints since ancient times. I use the juice of the leaf. I purchase mine from NEssentials, but it is also available from Chemist Warehouse and other stockists.
- Alcohol 60ml – Alcohol has an anti-microbial action. I use a pure perfumer grade alcohol/ethanol that is not too harsh on the skin. You can purchase it from Perfect Potion
- Distilled water 20ml – produced by boiling water and then condensing the collected steam back into a liquid. This process removes impurities and minerals from the water, making it pure and free from contaminents. It is often called Demineralised distilled water. You can purhcase it from supermarkets or chemist wharehouse, but the cheapest I have found so far is from BigW
- Essential Oils 12 – 30 drops – Frankincense boosts immunity and with it’s calming action connects you to the present. Orange provides immune protection and brings energy and positivity. Lemon tea tree offers strong protection and is purifying. Lemon Myrtle helps strenghten immunity, helps insomnia and is rejuvenating. Tea Tree strengthens immunity, refreshes and revitalises. Lavender boosts immunity and respiration as it slows down breathing. Combined, these essential oils have antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral and antifungal properties. Use one or a few oils mixed together. You can purchase these from me.
- Use a dark amber glass or PET plastic spray bottle; the amber colour helps to protect the essential oils from UV light (which can break them down). Here is a supplier I use. It sprays a very fine mist that is perfect for a homemade hand sanitiser or surface spray. You can use a 50ml size which is perfect for your bag, when going out.
- Pour all ingredients into a glass jug or bowl, ideally with a pouring spout like a glass measuring jug.
- Mix with a spoon.
- Pour the ingredients into an empty bottle for easy use, and label it ‘hand sanitiser’.
Surface Spray 200ml
- Distilled water 100ml see above for purchase details.
- White vinegar 100ml purchase from any supermarket.
- Essential oils 24 – 60 drops – have the ability to hamper the growth of a diverse range of pathogens, due to their natural bioactive properties and compounds. All oils are all known for their antimicrobial, antibacterial, antiviral activity. Here are my top 10: Bergamot, eucalyptus, lavender, lemongrass, lemon tea tree, lemon myrtle, orange, oregano, peppermint, rosewood, tea tree, but there are many others that will also work well. Contact me to purchase.
- Solubiliser 1:1 ratio – derived from natural almond and coconut oil, it is a clear low odour oil despersant, that won’t interfere with the aroma of your essential oils. Here is a stockist. It is used to enable the water base mix with the oil base of the essential oils, as we all know that oil and water won’t mix!
Directions: Mix all ingredients together and shake well.
Essential Oil Blend 5ml
- Essential oils – a powerful immune support blend: Lemon Myrtle 70, Lemon Tea Tree 80, Oregano 20, Clove 10. Contact me to purchase 5ml bottles and essential oils (on-line shop coming soon).
Directions: Measure out essential oils into the bottle, put the lid on and give it a good shake to mix.
Roller Blend 10ml
- Essential oils adults 10 drops, children 2 – 5 drops. Here are some extra essential oil ideas:
- To keep germs away: Orange, lemon, thyme, tea tree, clove, bay, rose geranium.
- Clear and strengthen immunity: Aniseed myrtle, bay, marjoram, hyssop, cypress blue, rosemary, eucalyptus, niaouli, spike lavender.
- Stimulate immunity: Buddha wood, clove, frankincense, vertiver, thyme, oregano, bay, lavender, lemon myrtle, lemon tea tree, rosewood.
- Uplift and relieve anxiety: Sandalwood, orange, mandarin, melissa, peppermint, petigrain, neroli, rose, jasmine.
- Base oils such as sweet almond, apricot kernal, grapeseed, jojoba all work well. These can be purchased from a supermarket, health food store or other supplier.
- Amber glass roller bottles 10ml. Here is a supplier I use, or contact me to order bottles already filled with a base oil, ready to add your essential oils.
Directions: Almost fill the roller bottle with the base oil, add essential oils, put the lid on and shake the bottle to mix. Roll onto the bottom of feet, or onto the chest area.
You can also use a Personal Nasal Inhaler to help you with an array of physical, mental and emotional issues. You can read more below.